LLTI Archives

November 2005, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2005 13:11:48 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Dartmouth College LISTSERV Server (14.4)"

>Date:         Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:46:00 -0500
>From: "Dartmouth College LISTSERV Server (14.4)"
>Subject: LLTI: approval required (34003EC7)
>To: [log in to unmask]

Dear All,

At the NERALLD meeting in Poughkeepsie on November 11, members and
guests from academe and publishing discussed the advent of Web-based
textbook modules (often for WebCT or Blackboard) and new models of
publishing foreign-language materials in the digital age.  Enthusiasm
was voiced for establishment of a listserv to bring together academics
and publishers to discuss:

1. development of technologies and products, and

2. training and support of faculty, staff, and students.

Are these needs that might be met here on LLTI in ongoing threads, or
would a separate list be useful?

I've spawned a new, un-moderated list, named CALL-PUB.  But before
launching it, I'd like to have a sense of community interest.  Initial
discussion could be seeded with topics raised at NERALLD by Patricia
Early of Georgia State University:

1. Selection of encoding formats, and requirements of plug-in's.

2. Responsibilities for training and supporting faculty and students.

3. Publisher support for users during technical outages.

4. Suitability of materials for dial-up access.

Should there be a new listserv with publishers, or should LLTI try to
get more publishers to participate here, in the broader forum?  Do
publishers already participate in LLTI?

What do you think?

David

David Kanig