LLTI Archives

November 2005, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:57:40 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Barbara Sawhill <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 16:18:56 -0500
>From: Barbara Sawhill <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: The REALIA project
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

I was asked to pass this on from the REALIA project folks...

--Barbara

SUBJECT: REALIA Project awarded NEH Grant and Seeks Contributors

The REALIA Project (http://www.realiaproject.org) is actively seeking
contributions of image collections by faculty and faculty/student
collaborations to support the teaching of language and culture based in
the following languages: Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Japanese,
Russian, and Spanish.

The National Endowment for the Humanities has provided a three-year
grant to the National Institute for Technology and Liberal Education
(NITLE) to enable The REALIA Project to transform its prototype REALIA
collection into a sustainable online archive of royalty-free materials
for teaching foreign languages and cultures. The collection focuses on
digitized realia (objects that convey the essence of a culture) and
serves a wide population of foreign language instructors and learners.
This searchable collection, launched in 2001, contains images with
accurate English and vernacular descriptions, cultural commentary, and
suggested pedagogical applications from faculty contributors. Images and
descriptions are reviewed by peer seven editorial boards with members
from more than 16 liberal arts colleges and universities.  Metadata for
each image are enhanced by library catalogers.

If you are interested in contributing to this project or are in contact
with faculty who may have collections to contribute, please contact Alan
Boyd, Managing Board Coordinator, ([log in to unmask]) or visit our
website: http://www.realiaproject.org for more information making a
submission.

--
Alan Boyd
Coordinator, Project REALIA Managing Board

Barbara Sawhill
Director
Cooper International Learning Center
Oberlin College