LLTI Archives

November 2005, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 13:31:33 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 14:11:56 -0500
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #8076.1 Media distribution and copyright (!)

>>From: Joseph O Kautz <[log in to unmask]>

> An All Itunes solution would limit how we can use digital
> media.
 > Delivering media from Itunes
> will be seen as a new way to make money for the publisher at the students'
> expense.
> Kiss the language lab good-bye on campus with this kind of delivery model.

I'm not sure about any of this.

First, I think some at least of the publishers are way ahead of Itunes
technologocially/pedagogically. A couple of our courses have switched
over to publisher-provided lab audio. Students have Quia exercises and
online workbooks and lab manuals with linked audio and self-checking.
These are (probably) superior to doing the paper manual with longer lab
files either in the lab or at home or using an Ipod (and checking the
answers in the back of the book). They've developed an integrated
approach that goes beyond what any one lab should have to try to do.

When students use paper manuals and workbooks, they pay for an item
which cannot be resold. Students access the online lab manual/workbook
using a purchased passcode that expires after a certain period of time.
They are getting more for their money with the passcode, I would say.

The publishers have been great about sending me copies of the audio so I
could make the files available "just in case" (they also provided paper
books for the students) for the trial period.

And--the bean-counters have been closing labs before this.

Judy

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.