LLTI Archives

November 2005, Week 2

From:
Christopher Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:30:55 -0500
Jorg:

I did what you describe for some video from Quebec, i.e. streamed QT with
Textation added subtitles. Compressed using Cleaner. You can see examples
at http://ml.hss.cmu.edu/quebec/sherbrooke/ in the "interviews" section.
Try >Education>Chloe Asselin-Merineau. Not all of the clips are subtitled.

I documented the process rather exhaustively, including how to make Ref
movies within or without Cleaner. I'll attach that documentation here in
the hopes that it may be useful. Ignore the parts that have to do with QT
within Shockwave. The rest is pretty straightforward.

I'll include my custom Textation settings also, since that may actually be
where your problem lies. I remember them as being pretty quirky.

-Chris

--On Thursday, November 10, 2005 11:57 -0500 LLTI-Editor
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from Jorg Waltje <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>> Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 21:33:46 -0500
>> From: Jorg Waltje <[log in to unmask]>
>> To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>> Subject: Streaming QT: text tracks (!)
>

> Dear Listlers:
>
> Another streaming problem encountered by yours truly:
>
> We have been using $E3Textation$E4 to subtitle some Quicktime files of
> German  clips.  We serve them over an OS X streaming server.  When we add
> the text  track (subtitle) however, it does not show up, although
> audio/video streams  fine.  When I try to redo the whole file so that the
> text track has a  hinted track added to it, the whole file will not play.
>
> Que pasa??  It runs just fine from the computer HD -- Has anyone tried
> out  QT with text tracks over a streaming server, please come to my
> rescue.
>
> Best regards,		Jorg
>
> ---------------------
> Dr. Jorg Waltje
> Associate Professor
> Director LRC
> Ohio University
> Gordy Hall 17 D
> Athens, Ohio 45701 (USA)
>
> Ph: (740) 593-2748
> Fax: (740) 593-0729
> ---------------------

>  LLTI is a service of IALLT, the International Association for
> Language Learning, and The Consortium for Language Teaching and
> Learning (http://consortium.dartmouth.edu).
> Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.
> Otmar Foelsche, LLTI-Editor ([log in to unmask])

Christopher M. Jones, PhD
Teaching Professor of French and Computer-Assisted Language Learning
Director, Modern Language Resource Center
mail: Baker Hall 160, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-5065 / fax: 412-268-1328 /  [log in to unmask]
http://ml.hss.cmu.edu/facpages/cjones