LLTI Archives

November 2005, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 13:39:50 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Samantha Earp <[log in to unmask]> ---

>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Streaming QT: text tracks (!)
>From: Samantha Earp <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:51:44 -0500

Jorg,
We've used a different app - Quicktime Pro- to add a subtitle box (hinted
text track) to MPEG-4 video files. The text track is generated from a text
file that includes Quicktime descriptors to set the various parameters, so
this is a manual process and may be different from what you do with
Textation - I'm not familiar with that tool. The text track is added to
the MPEG-4 video file in Quicktime, and the resulting files are then
uploaded to the streaming server. The last step is to use Quicktime again
to create reference movies to point to the media files on the server.
There were some problems when attempting to point directly to the file on
the server (via http) when the subtitles wouldn't show up, but this has
worked well using the reference movies to generate the link. (It seems to
me that both should work, but a Quicktime engineer says it's more reliable
with reference movies). I'd be happy to give you the step-by-step process
we followed for the Quicktime side of things if you decide you'd want to
look at that rather than Textation.

Thanks,
Samantha

>Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 21:33:46 -0500
>From: Jorg Waltje <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Streaming QT: text tracks (!)

Dear Listlers:

Another streaming problem encountered by yours truly:

We have been using $E3Textation$E4 to subtitle some Quicktime files of
German
clips.  We serve them over an OS X streaming server.  When we add the
text
track (subtitle) however, it does not show up, although audio/video
streams
fine.  When I try to redo the whole file so that the text track has a
hinted track added to it, the whole file will not play.

Que pasa??  It runs just fine from the computer HD -- Has anyone tried
out
QT with text tracks over a streaming server, please come to my rescue.

Best regards,           Jorg

---------------------
Dr. Jorg Waltje
Associate Professor
Director LRC
Ohio University
Gordy Hall 17 D
Athens, Ohio 45701 (USA)

Ph: (740) 593-2748
Fax: (740) 593-0729

Samantha Earp
Head, Foreign Language Instructional Technology Support
Center for Instructional Technology
Box 90198 - 223A Perkins Library
Duke University
Durham, NC 27708