LLTI Archives

October 2005, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:50:45 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Daniel Tom <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 13:18:44 -1000
>From: Daniel Tom <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #8058  Delivery of MP3 files
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"

Claire,

This semester at the University of Hawaii we introduced what we call a Web
Audio Utility (WAU) which uses Macromedia Flash software and Audacity.
Students can record themselves using Audacity either in our Digital Language
Lab or at home and send the recording to their instructor using the Web
Audio Utility.  Since this is web-based, instructors can retrieve the
recordings from any Internet-connected computer.  Instructors may also
record corrections and send them back to the student.  All recordings are
stored as threads in a forum-like discussion that is exclusive to the class.
Access for both instructors and students is via user name and password.

You may go to the following website to view a tutorial for students on how
to use WAU to get a better idea of how this works.

http://mcl.lll.hawaii.edu/wau/instructions_student.htm

Daniel Tom
Language Learning Center
University of Hawaii at Manoa