LLTI Archives

October 2005, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:50:28 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 22:33:46 -0400
>From: [log in to unmask]
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: position available at Duke University

Dear colleagues,

I am leading a search to fill a position opening in my group in the Center for
Instructional Technology at Duke University; the current holder of the job will
be leaving Duke soon for family reasons. Interested parties can contact me for
general information about the position; please note that the applications must
be submitted according to the procedures outlined at the end of the ad.

Best,
Samantha

---------------

LANGUAGE LAB COORDINATOR (ANALYST IT)
Duke University Libraries is currently recruiting for a Language Lab Coordinator
to manage daily operations in one of the language labs and participate in
program development projects and services. This position serves a key customer
service role in helping and communicating with faculty, students and community
members. The Language Lab Coordinator is a member of the Foreign Language
Technology Services group in the Center for Instructional Technology (CIT)
(http://cit.duke.edu). This position reports to the Head of Foreign Language
Instructional Technology Support in the CIT.

RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manages daily operations of assigned language lab facility, including
supervision of student employees, maintenance of schedules and resource
inventories in print & electronic formats, circulation of equipment and
resources and triage of help requests.
- Provides extensive assistance with educational, productivity, multimedia and
language lab software and Web applications used in the teaching and learning of
foreign languages and English as a Second Language (ESL) at Duke.
- Teaches technology orientations, class sessions and workshops.
- Develops and maintains multimedia-rich documentation and training curricula
and other publications for print, Web and other media, according to established
guidelines.
- Participates in instructional technology project support and events, including
project management, production of multimedia materials & coordination with
clients.
- Participates in on-call support rotations for instructional technology tools
and facilities.
- Composes reports and summaries according to established guidelines.
- Stays abreast of the current state of the language technology/instructional
technology field, including yearly attendance at professional meetings as
approved by supervisor.
- Supports new technologies for language learning and teaching as they emerge
within Duke$E2s dynamic information technology environment.
- Participates in working groups with other campus representatives as assigned
by supervisor.
- Performs other related duties incidental to the work described herein.

QUALIFICATIONS
It is the expectation that all Perkins Library System staff members will
demonstrate exceptional workplace behaviors in the execution of their specific
position responsibilities. These behaviors are customer focus, collaboration,
creative problem solving, continuous learning and a commitment to diversity.
In addition, managers and supervisors are expected to help develop a common
vision by providing clear direction and priorities, clarifying roles and
responsibilities, and promoting mutual understanding through effective
communication.  They are also expected to take the time to effectively plan and
evaluate performance, provide feedback, recognition and coaching, and develop
employees to achieve their personal and organizational goals.

EDUCATION:
Required: BA/BS or combination of relevant education and experience.

Preferred: MA/MS in Foreign Language Education, Library/Information Science,
Instructional Technology or related discipline.

EXPERIENCE:

Required: At least two years of experience in a public or customer service
capacity, classroom teaching and/or training; excellent organizational,
instructional, communication and interpersonal skills; demonstrated proficiency
with production, multimedia and academic technologies; ability to provide
assistance to diverse clientele and student staff with different levels of
technical expertise; ability to learn and integrate new technologies quickly
and effectively; ability to carry out duties and manage multiple tasks with
limited supervision; native- or near-native proficiency in written and spoken
English.

Preferred: Prior experience working in an educational technology or language
lab; technology training or language teaching experience; experience
supervising student employees; experience working with multilingual computing
environments; native or near-native proficiency in a language other than
English; experience learning a second language.

SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary dependent on qualifications and experience; anticipated hiring range is
$37,000 - $42,000. Comprehensive benefits package includes 15 days vacation, 13
holidays, 12 days sick leave; health, dental, disability and life insurance and
support for professional development and training.

CENTER FOR INSTRUCTIONAL TECHNOLOGY
The Center for Instructional Technology supports the academic mission of Duke
University by helping faculty find innovative ways to use technology to achieve
their teaching goals. Drawing on expertise in both technology and pedagogy, CIT
staff assist faculty with projects, share information across the university
about effective practices and examine the effect of technology on teaching and
learning.

ENVIRONMENT
The libraries of Duke University consist of the William R. Perkins Library and
its six branches on campus: Biological and Environmental Sciences, Chemistry,
Engineering and Math-Physics, Rare Book, Manuscript and Special Collections,
Lilly, and Music; the library at the Duke Marine Laboratory in Beaufort; and
the independently administered libraries of the professional schools: The Ford
Library at the Fuqua School of Business, Divinity School Library, Duke Law
Library and the Medical Center Library. Duke's library holdings of 5.1 million
volumes are among the largest of private universities in the United States.
Duke is a member of the Triangle Research Libraries Network which promotes
collaboration in the areas of information resources and services, information
technology, and human resources among the libraries of Duke University, the
University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, North Carolina Central University and
North Carolina State University.

Duke University and Durham are located in the Research Triangle, a region that
encompasses one of the nation's premier concentrations of academic, corporate,
and public research. The Triangle region is rated among the most desirable
areas in North America to live and work and has been identified by Money
magazine as one of the "Best Places to Live" in the U.S.

APPLICATIONS
Please e-mail cover letter, detailed resume and the names, addresses (mailing
and e-mail), and telephone numbers of three references to: Camille Brooks,
Human Resources Manager, Perkins Library at [log in to unmask]  If you do
not have access to e-mail, please mail your applications materials to Box
90194, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708.  Review of applications will begin in
late October and will continue until the position is filled.

Duke University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. The Perkins
Library System has a strong commitment to Affirmative Action and is actively
seeking to increase the racial and ethnic diversity of our staff.

Samantha Earp
Head, Foreign Language Instructional Technology Support
Center for Instructional Technology - Perkins Library
Box 90198 - Bostock Lower Level
Duke University
Durham, NC 27708

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.