LLTI Archives

October 2005, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:02:25 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Jorg Waltje <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 21:58:37 -0400
>From: Jorg Waltje <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: 8057.3 MPG 1 conversion (!)

Dear Otmar:

First of all, thank you -- you are THE MAN! Of course I got started on
conversions right away, ands experienced exactly what you point out below:
Either a file converts within a few minutes, or it hangs somewhere, and
that's the end of it... All our mpegs were done on the same machine, so it
is strange to see that some  work (or rather, can be hinted) and others
not, especially when it is differents parts of one and the same movie. On
Part 1 and 3 it works, on part 2 it does not. (For a variety of reasons we
broke our movies into 30 minute pieces usually)  In any case, it is a good
place to start, and I'll kep my fingers crossed that it will cut the
workload down for us quite a bit, even if we have to capture and redo a
number of films.

One thing I noticed:  the file size doubles, so 30+ minutes of mpeg1-hinted
is about 1 GB.  It does stream just fine, but of course takes up a lot of
server space.  Any ideas on that, or is this just the way it is?

Best regards from    Jorg

--On Tuesday, October 25, 2005 1:47 PM -0400 LLTI-Editor

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.