LLTI Archives

October 2005, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 2005 13:47:54 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Bob Majors <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 12:25:30 -0700
>Subject: Re: #8057.1 Mpeg 1 conversion (!)
>From: Bob Majors <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

> QuickTime Pro will do this conversion. Just export as "hinted movie." The
> resulting files will work well with QT Streaming Server.
>
> Otmar Foelsche

Coincidentally we just came across this same issue today with an MPEG-1
video file.  Apple's Compressor software couldn't encode the audio.
QuickTime Pro 7's export window had dimmed (inaccessible) audio settings
(the settings showed as Big Endian 16 bit 44.1kHz L & R).  I started to do
an Export, but ran out of time, so I don't know if audio would have been
output (or attempted to be) at those settings, or if it would have been MOS
(without sound, or 'mit out sound' ;).  Interestingly, Cleaner did output a
version, and from what the person who ran it through Cleaner said, he
'hinted' the track for streaming.  I inspected the video in QT Player Pro 7,
and there were hint tracks for audio and video, but neither was enabled.  I
enabled both, and we were able to get the movie to stream (via QTSS), but
the audio exhibited stuttering and simultaneous looping during streaming
playback.

Anyway, from what I understand, MPEG-1 is multiplexed, and it was suggested
that macbbdeumx be used to transcode it to a streaming .mov file:

http://mediapipe.sourceforge.net/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/macbbdemux

Bob Majors
Language Learning Center