LLTI Archives

October 2005, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 15:12:20 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 16:54:55 -0400
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #8036 Fitting lab into language curriculum

Dr. Louise E. Stoehr asked about lab requirements and uses.

A lab that would offer logged desk time to all the UF elementary
language students would be amazingly large. Back in the early 90s there
was talk of somehow replacing a contact hour with a lab hour, but it was
just not practical. We usually emphasize that instructors should try to
integrate the lab audio into tests and classroom work, so that the
students are aware of the benefit of using the materials on their own.

Instead, we offer (a) a website with the lab audio for 1st-2nd year
students (though this is finally beginning to be replaced for some
courses by sites maintained by the publishers), and (b) computer and lab
classroom facilities to instructors who have courses or classes that
require special software, headsets, or interactivity.

The kinds of activities tend to be:
--speaking tests
--pronunciation courses
--web-heavy or media-heavy courses or class sessions
--courses with online textbook
--class sessions that use or manipulate audio and video (e.g.
"subtitling" video as part of a translation class).
--class sessions emphasizing conversation, often with specially designed
materials involving role-playing or information-gap "telephone
conversations."

The lab is also used by students for listening, viewing, and  recording
assignments.

Judy Shoaf
Language Learning Center
University of Florida