LLTI Archives

October 2005, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 15:12:15 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Dartmouth College LISTSERV Server (14.4)"

>Date:         Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:39:32 -0400
>From: "Dartmouth College LISTSERV Server (14.4)"
>Subject: LLTI: approval required (7A611394)
>To: [log in to unmask]

Dear Colleagues,

Duke is recruiting for a newly created Scholarly Communications Officer
position. This is outside the usual scope of this list, but I'm posting it
here in case any of you may know qualified individuals to forward this to.
Thanks for your help! An abbreviated description is included below; the
full description is available on the Duke Libraries Web site.

Samantha Earp
Head, Foreign Language Instructional Technology Support
Center for Instructional Technology
Box 90198 - 223A Perkins Library
Duke University
Durham, NC 27708

Duke University is recruiting for a newly created Scholarly Communication
Officer position to coordinate scholarly communication activities for Duke
University by taking a leadership role in building a scholarly
communications program and educating the university community about
intellectual property issues and their impact on the nature and conduct of
scholarly inquiry and instruction.  This position reports to the Director
of Academic Technology and Instructional Services. It is a three-year term
appointment with the possibility of renewal.

Responsibilities: Directs copyright activities for the university$E2Aos
libraries and serves as copyright advisor to the university community;
organizes educational forums on scholarly communication topics as they
relate to academia and to research libraries; represents the interests of
the Duke University Libraries and the university community in the
development of university policy on copyright, the public domain, user
privacy, and other scholarly communication issues; monitors national
scholarly communication policy issues, informs and educates the Duke
community of their significance and participates in campus efforts to
ensure that scholars, students and libraries in the digital environment
retain the full benefits of the current and evolving intellectual property
regime.
Qualifications: Required:  MLS from an ALA-accredited program, J.D or
equivalent combination of relevant academic preparation and experience;
five years of relevant experience with emphasis on scholarly communication
matters in libraries, academia, scientific or scholarly publishing;
demonstrated expertise in legal and regulatory issues associated with
intellectual property and copyright, particularly as they involve the
creation, dissemination, and use of digital information resources;
demonstrated ability to represent the interests of a university, based on
a demonstrated understanding of the technical, legal, and information
policy issues of scholarly communication; excellent interpersonal skills
and ability to work well with and to lead faculty, students, and academic
administrators in discussions regarding scholarly communication.
For more information about this opportunity, please visit the Duke
University Libraries HR/jobs website at
http://library.duke.edu/about/depts/hr/jobs/.

Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience and includes a
generous benefits package.

Application:  To apply, please send cover letter, detailed resume and the
names, addresses (mailing and e-mail), and telephone numbers of three
references to: Camille Brooks, Human Resources Manager, Perkins Library,
Box 90193, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708, or e-mail to
[log in to unmask] Review of applications will begin in early November
2005 and will continue until the position is filled.   Duke University is
an EEO/

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.