LLTI Archives

October 2005, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:28:16 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Bruce Swayne" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 15:14:54 -0600
>From: "Bruce Swayne" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #8036 Fitting lab into language curriculum

The Department of Modern Languages & Literatures at Boise State University
includes eight languages and about 1,000 students in first and second-year
language classes.  Using Spanish as our example, each class includes four
one-hour class meetings per week and also the requirement of a thirty-minute lab
activity per week.  We provide students with a menu of choices for the lab
activity to be completed at a time of their own choosing.  These include:
(a)	practice activities from the CD-ROM that accompanies the textbook;
(b)	practice exams from the website of the textbook publisher;
(c)	practice activities from the video CD that accompanies the textbook;
(d)	"Conversation Lab" * a thirty minute small-group "NO English" session with a
native speaker;
(e)	Study Groups * a thirty minute tutoring session with an advanced student;
(f)	Satellite TV * watching authentic TV and writing a one-page synopsis;
(g)	Movies * watching a feature length film and writing a one-page synopsis;
(h)	Internet news or a cultural site in the target language and writing a
one-page summary.

For items a, b and c we require that the student print the result of just one of
the completed activities or practice tests and attach the printed page to the
Lab Log.  For options d and e the Conversation Lab assistant or Study Group
leader signs the participating student's Lab Report.  During the course of the
15-week semester each student must sign-up and complete 7 Conversation Labs, 5
Computer Labs (items a, b or c) and any three additional activities (a through
h).  Except for items d and e, we allow the weekly "lab" activity to be done at
home rather than our on-campus lab since 85% of our students commute to campus.
However, all of the resources are available in the Modern Languages Resource
Center for those who care to complete their work there.

The Student Lab Manual with audio CD, Student Workbook (written exercises) and
the audio CD activities in the textbook are required, but are graded as
"homework" and do not count toward the lab requirement.

For Conversation Lab there is a large chart on which students sign-up for a
30-minute session at a time of their choosing. Sessions are available between
8:30 am and 6:30 pm most days.  We allow up to five students per conversation
group.  Students must participate in a group at their same class level. For
example, we do not mix first-year students with second-year students.

Each student keeps a Lab Log for the semester and also has a Spanish
Conversation Lab Preparation and Participation Report form for each Conversation
lab session.  We require the Instructor to review and sign the student's
conversation lab questions before the lab session.   No instructor signature =
no Conversation Lab!

Bruce R. Swayne
Director, Modern Languages Resource Center
MLL Internship Coordinator
MLL Non-credit Instruction Coordinator
Department of Modern Languages & Literatures
Boise State University
1910 University Drive, L144
Boise, Idaho USA 83725-1530

208-426-3452