LLTI Archives

October 2005, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:28:06 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Dartmouth College LISTSERV Server (14.4)"

>Date:         Thu, 20 Oct 2005 22:47:58 -0400
>From: "Dartmouth College LISTSERV Server (14.4)"
>Subject: LLTI: approval required (BA62B073)
>To: [log in to unmask]

This message was originally submitted by [log in to unmask] to the LLTI list at
LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU. You can approve it using the "OK" mechanism (click on
the link below), ignore it, or repost an edited copy. The message will expire
automatically and you do not need to  do anything if you just want to discard
it. Please refer to  the list owner's guide if you are  not familiar with the
"OK" mechanism; these instructions are being kept purposefully short for your
convenience in processing large numbers of messages.

To APPROVE the message:
http://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/wa.exe?OK=BA62B073&L=LLTI
Hi, We have the old Sanako system when it was called Tandberg.

Our instructors did NOT adjust to it quickly.  We have had it for 6 years
and they still are adjusting.  We try to adjust to what their level is.
Our goal is to "lure" one or two "new" professors into using the Sanako
system each semester.  So we do a lot of "marketing" and training to our
faculty about the wonderful advantages they can get from our system.  We
have trained lab technicians who will take care of all the equipment and
we tell the professor to just facilitate the class and let us know what
their lesson plan is.  My staff are trained to offer suggestions--once
they hear the lesson plan--on how to use some aspect of our system that
they may or may not have been aware of to add a new layer to their lesson
plan.  The professor will accept the suggestion or reject it based upon
their goals and their comfort levels.

Starting last year we suddenly had a growing number of professors who
wanted to take control of the technology as well as the lesson plan, so we
eagerly encouraged them to do so.  Of course, as they learned one area of
Sanako we would teach them another, so they often still need us.  But we
try to be as hands on or hands off as the professors need and want.

Has Sanako increased our lab attendance?  Yes, definitely.  Once they
start coming even once or twice a semester with their instructors into our
"Smart Lab" where Sanako is, they tend to come back on their own to try
out other software and other capabilities or our lab.  That's one of the
reasons we try so hard to recruit professors to use our Smart Lab.  For
each professor, we get hundreds of hours in lab attendance (and thus
funding) per semester.

We don't come close to fully utilizing the Sanako system, but that gives
me hope because there continues to be new ways our instructors can use the
equipment so they don't get bored.  I find that my staff like to learn new
things about Sanako one at a time.  Then once they have learned that new
thing; they turn around and promote it to the instructors.  Then I can
introduce a new aspect of it to my staff.

Sorry to be longwinded.  Hope this helps.

Peggy C. Marcy
Supervisor Language Learning Center
Mt. San Antonio College

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.