LLTI Archives

October 2005, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:28:12 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Language Laboratories and Archives

At 15:18 -0400 20/10/05, LLTI-Editor wrote:
>--- Forwarded Message from Bill Koulopoulos <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>At our LRC we've been using a Marantz PMD670($800), which has been
>very easy to use and has exceeded our expectations. It stores the
>recordings on a memory card in MP3 format and then we edit those
>using Audacity (free/ open source).  Very easy and very fast.

We also use a PMD670, but we do all of our original recordings on
this to .wav (48 kHz). Stereo takes about 512 MB for an hour.
Recordings for phonetic analysis have been done in mono.

At 15:18 -0400 20/10/05, LLTI-Editor wrote:
>--- Forwarded Message from "Chen Xiaobin" <[log in to unmask]> ---
>Hi,
>Please forgive my ignorance. But why don't you just attach the mic to the
>"mic input" of the computer sound card? I think it is the easiest way to
>record sound directly into the computer. But I don't know whether the effect
>of the sound will be satisfactory.
>Regards,
>Chen Xiaobin

The audio is not satisfactory. If your A-to-D converter is inside the
computer (as with mike input to a sound board), you run the risk of
signal interference.

(Bear in mind that I am a linguist and my goal is the bets possible
signal for the greatest number of potential uses. Sometimes that is
more than is needed/wanted!)

Barbara

Barbara Need
Manager (SS4), Computer Support, Archivist
UChicago--Language Labs and Archives

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.