LLTI Archives

October 2005, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:28:05 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Dartmouth College LISTSERV Server (14.4)"

>Date:         Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:41:47 -0400
>From: "Dartmouth College LISTSERV Server (14.4)"
>Subject: LLTI: approval required (CE46AFD9)
>To: [log in to unmask]

This message was originally submitted by [log in to unmask] to the LLTI
list at LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU.  You can approve it using  the "OK" mechanism
(click on the link  below), ignore it, or repost an  edited copy. The message
will expire automatically and you do not need to do anything if you just want
to discard it. Please refer to the list owner's guide if you are not familiar
with the "OK" mechanism; these instructions are being kept purposefully short
for your convenience in processing large numbers of messages.

To APPROVE the message:
http://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/wa.exe?OK=CE46AFD9&L=LLTI
We've just put a new release of LangLab (1.9) on our Web site
http://www.elanglab.com as the current demo version, with updated documentation.
This version of our LangLab digital language lab software expands its
pedagogical possibilities considerably: it includes the ability to link a
picture to a lesson item, a scrollable text window that accommodates longer
textual materials (such as might be used to test reading comprehension, or as an
adjunct to listening and recording--e.g., a scene from a play in which the
student speaks one part), and support for written questions, along with an
extremely simple and flexible system for creating response boxes of arbitrary
size (from checkboxes for multiple-choice answers to fill-in-the-blank answers
or multi-line full-width free-response answers). There are additional
enhancements, including a more robust architecture for real-time monitoring that
simplifies connection for students; please click on the button to download a
demo and check our Release Notes.

Those not yet familiar with LangLab may wish to read Prof. Jack Burston's review
of an earlier version in his IALLT monograph. It still is (as far as we know)
the only solution with comparable functionality that runs under OS X or Linux as
well as under Windows--alleviating any concerns about what sort of computer
students or faculty have at home, for remote use--and it now offers an even more
remarkable cost-performance combination, enabling institutions to equip a lab
and leverage its resources through remote access at a price that is a fraction
of what the major alternatives cost.

     Regards,

     Richard Laden
Dr. Richard A. Laden