LLTI Archives

October 2005, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 15:18:25 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"
>Subject: CAN-8 technical performance?
>Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:50:36 -0500

Hi Everyone

We are considering purchase of CAN-8 for Northeastern Illinois University. I
know it is widely used on the east and west coasts and in Canada. We like
the features and integration, especailly the text support, and remote login
for instructors to "collect" student's work.

Earlier this month, we had a rep come give a very good sales presentation
and we were impressed woth overall video and audio quality.  There is TBA an
upgrade of the GUI this winter so the Windows 95-ish interface isn't a
problem as some listers had posted. Actually, our more senior faculty
members actually prefer it

Does anyone have the track record of reliability regarding campus networks,
outages, drops, disconnects, choppy audio or video due to server traffic et?
I have the demo software and it seems to work fine, but I would like some
real world info. If any of you that use the system at your institution can
email me and give me phone contacts I would like hear from you before we
commit to purchasing the system for our new lab.

Thanks.Tom Griffin,
Director, Foreign Language Lab
Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures
Northeastern Illinois University
5500 N. St. Louis Avenue
Chicago, IL 60625
773-442-4753