LLTI Archives

October 2005, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 15:18:22 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 19:15:08 -0600
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Links to immersion Language Schools?

We get a few requests each month from non-students, who are looking for
short or medium-term immersion language programs in Spanish.  The
requestors are often professionals, who have anywhere from a week to a
couple of months, and want to travel to a town in Central or South America,
and study in an intensive language program.  In general, they don't care
about college credit, they want to go and return based on their schedule,
and they are imagining a local program, perhaps staying with a family.

Their available dates seldom coincide with any programs that we offer.  I
have often been told that there are many programs available in Cuernavaca,
Mexico or Antigua, Guatemala, for example, but I don't have any specifics
to offer.  My impression is that our university language programs don't
really want to track this information.  Perhaps they see it as competition.

Does anyone know of a web site with links to many language immersion
programs and options?   Something annotated or with a rating system would
be outstanding.  I am also curious if your institutions get this kind of
request, and if you provide referrals or not.

Thanks,

Derek

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center