LLTI Archives

October 2005, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 15:18:24 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "John Mark Esposito" <[log in to unmask]>
---

>From: "John Mark Esposito" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"
>Subject: Fitting lab into language curriculum
>Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:09:23 -0400

I'd like to add to this point, as well.  I, too, am in total agreement.
It's been a difficult transition, and I still struggle with changing the
"image" of our Center.  It's particularly important for me because I receive
funding on the numbers of students who come to the lab, even more so for
tutoring...

We did away with the 10 hour lab requirement several years ago for the same
exact reasons: students sleeping at stations, playing solitaire, shopping,
and generally taking up space.

Initially, there was a dramatic decrease in traffic in the Center.  At
first, I thought that we should require using some of the software, Rosetta
Stone or Tell Me More, as part of the regular class work.  However, I
generally feel that those types of programs are best suited for individual
practice or individually assigned work from instructors. Students are
required to complete their workbook and lab activities, most of which is
done online from home.

So, how to get students back to the Center to take advantage of all the
great services that we provide?  In short, we self promoted ourselves,
organizing conversation hours, showing movies, music listening hours, guest
lectures about foreign cultures, and most importantly, tutoring.  I have
used my tutors as language ambassadors, visiting classes and organizing
events for students.  This seems to have worked extremely well.

In addition, we have been using an oral testing program from about 3 years
which requires students to come to the lab in order to complete their
assignments.  These tests can not be done over the internet.  We are not
only testing students' oral proficiency.  We use the application for
assignments as well.  Students, depending on their level, describe photos,
give short descriptions of themselves, recite poetry, etc.  So, in this
sense, visits to the Center are integrated in the regular class, at least
for the first three levels of language.

We are also now starting with multi-media projects, and although students
can complete these assignments from home using iPhoto or Photo Story 3, many
come to the lab.  I guess it's easier to meet with groups --some stations
allow up to three students to work together-- and students know that they
can always get assistance here, as well.  As a result, we give workshops to
students on using PowerPoint, Photo Story and just recently NJStar.

When you are not teaching, nor directly involved in the writing of syllabus,
or for that matter the content of the class, I have learned that the most I
could possibly do is to make our Center and attractive place for students, a
place where they could come to see language being used for real purposes.
90% of the staff, which includes lab managers, federal work study students
and tutors, was born outside the United States, so students who come to our
Center don't hear a lot of English.

Lastly, most of changes that we have made over past few years have been a
direct result of attending conferences and seeing amazing presentations from
colleagues in the field.  From ideas for class projects to ways in which I
could better manage the staff, the help I have received has been simply
amazing.

Thanks, John Mark.

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.