LLTI Archives

October 2005, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:59:11 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Bob Majors <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 12:43:23 -0700
>Subject: Re: #8043 Audio Recording
>From: Bob Majors <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

> We have a small studio that is pretty much sound proof.  We have a
> couple of microphones in the booth that connect to a mixing console with
> a reel to reel tape and a cassette recorder.  We have been digitizing
> the cassettes using a tape player connected to a PC.
>
> Recently we tried using a hand held digital voice recorder and that
> worked well for the people we recorded.  It didn't work well from my
> point of view in that I had to make numerous adjustments to the volume
> as well as remove some echo from the wma files.

If you need to do remote recordings, I'd recommend a recorder like one of
these:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/category/c860

... in case the one you're using doesn't work well enough for you.  Also,
using a separate mic will give better results; maybe something on a desk mic
stand or a PZM -- something easy to set up.  What do you mean by "echo",
reverb from the recording environment (if so, make adjustments to the
acoustics or room), or feedback?  Some of the units listed on that web page
might have firewire and/or USB so you could transfer to your computer in
non-real time (faster).

I'd record at 44.1kHz. 16 bit mono with NO lossy compression (e.g., mp3,
what have you).  You can always spin those versions off for delivery.

> Does anyone know much about or have an opinion on:
>
> 1. ADS Red Rover - Remote Control and
> 2. Adobe Audition
> 3. Syntrillium Cool Edit Pro 2.0
> 4. Cakewalk SONAR Studio
> 5. Producer Edition 4.0.2

I believe (2) is the commercial version of (3) -- both are very capable, as
well as Sound Forge.  Probably all the programs you mention are capable; it
is in the initial recording (technique and equipment) and subsequent gain
structure (setting levels for A to D conversion) where most of your quality
control will come in.  If you get something with a digital audio output, and
have the same on a sound card, you can capture without re-digitizing.

Finally, if you're recording in your studio, get a computer, put it next
door, and record direct to hard drive.  Then edit, spin off your delivery
formats, transfer to the server via ethernet, and you're done.

Bob Majors
Language Learning Center
University of Washington

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.