LLTI Archives

October 2005, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 13:09:18 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from David Herren <[log in to unmask]> ---

>To: LLTI <[log in to unmask]>
>From: David Herren <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: shift-JIS to Big5 conversion
>Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 20:05:25 -0400

I've already lost the original query, but I forwarded the question to
Robert Smitheram, an expert on such things. Here was his reply:

>> I have a txt file encoded in shift-jis.  A user wants to reencode
>> the file
>> into a Chinese encoding, say Big5, so that he can use Clavis
>> Sinica or
>> some other glossing package to read and gloss the characters.
>>

> Hi, David,
>
> If you could post the answer, direct the person to this website:
>
>         http://www.elfdata.com/encodingmaster/
>
> Where they can download an application for either the Mac OSX or
> Windows that will do the required conversion... it does batch job
> of files as well... really a cool app... There might be a problem
> in that some Kanji are not a part of the Big5 standard as these are
> Japanese variants of Chinese characters.. if the conversion was to
> Unicode this would not be an issue, but there are areas where Shift-
> jis and Big5 do not overlap... I would strongly recommend that all
> users upgrade to Unicode for storing data; if the app doesn't
> support it, find one that does and inform the software provider of
> this important need.... With Unicode, you can pile in all kinds of
> CJK data and they will all happily play together...
>
> R.
> --
> Robert H. Smitheram
> Santa Barbara, CA

/david

--
david herren - shoreham, vt us na terra solsys orionarm

"This foreign policy stuff is a little frustrating."
- George W. Bush, as quoted by the New York Daily News, April 23rd, 2002

http://www.bushorchimp.com/

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.