LLTI Archives

October 2005, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:11:18 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Keola Donaghy <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 07:35:50 -1000
>From: Keola Donaghy <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #8027 OSX server lab admin settings
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Cc: [log in to unmask]

Unless I'm misunderstanding the issue, this is how OS X Server works. The
desktop is simply a directory in the user account, so if "french" moves
from one machine to another, the desktop and his/her entire directory
structure follows to each machine that is used. If you want to set
application and preference privileges for a range of users, you can do
that it workgroup manager. If you don't want to give each student a
personalized account, you could do "french-01", "french-02", etc. They'd
each have their own desktop and directory structure. Add them all to a
group entitled "french" and you can control all of their application and
preference settings in Workgroup Manaager, and give them a shared folder
if needed.

I've found that a server restart after making mass changes usually clears
up any problems students have with authentication, and I also have our
server restart itself each night at midnight. I also run DNS on our OS X
Servers and have that function as the primary DNS for the lab.

HTH

Keola

Penei ka OEolelo a Language Learning and Technology International
Information Forum              <[log in to unmask]>:
>I am looking for someone who has experience with setting up a lab with
>multiple user with multiple log-on under OSX server 10.3.
>Background :
>We have recently implemented a self-access lab with brand new emacs and
>OS 10.3 (to allow classic to run for older software). We tyring to set
>up OSX Server to authenticate our multiple users with multiple logons
>but we have had some issues with  settings and privileges given by the
>server upon logon and despite back up (every night).
>For example if a user (french) saved a document on the desktop of one
>workstation, it would instantly appear on another station logged under
>French. The document would stay there until someone logged under French
>deletes it. We have ahd problems with applications on the dock, then we
>lost the classic function little by little.
>
>Currently our workstations are stand alone and users log on following
>the language they study. This is far from being practical for we have
>other security and privilege issues (like moving/deleting icons within
>users respective folders for e.g.)
>
>Please let me know you're your OSX server is set up to allow multiple
>user authentication and privileges restrictions...

Keola Donaghy
Assistant Professor of Hawaiian Studies
Ka Haka 'Ula O Ke'elikolani             [log in to unmask]
University of Hawai'i at Hilo           http://www2.hawaii.edu/~donaghy/

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.