LLTI Archives

October 2005, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:37:23 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from JEFFREY J HAYDEN <[log in to unmask]> ---

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Joseph Kautz wrote:

> I have a txt file encoded in shift-jis.  A user wants to reencode the file
> into a Chinese encoding, say Big5, so that he can use Clavis Sinica or
> some other glossing package to read and gloss the characters.  I have a
> sample of the text in html at
>
> 	www.stanford.edu/~jkautz/sample.html
>
> Can this kanji be remapped as chinese characters in a Chinese encoding?

I've done a lot with GB2312<->Big5 (i.e., SimpCHN<->TradCHN), but
Shift-JIS<->Big5 (i.e., JPN->TradCHN) might be a bit trickier.

If you are using Clavis Sinica (CS) or Wenlin (WL) and you have a Shift-JIS
text, the best thing for you to do would be to save it as Unicode and work
with it then, since both of those applications work with Unicode
(specifically UTF8).  I don't know about doing this on a PC, but on a Mac
all you'd need to do is open the file in TextEdit and save it as a
Unicode-based file.  CS/WL should then be able to open and interpret the
file.

The problem might still be there, however, in that the Unicode codepoints
might still for JPN Kanji shapes, so the Kanji might still not be
displayable as TradCHN.  Again, I don't deal much with JPN, or converting
between JPN-CHN, and I'm just getting used to Unicode, so this is just
conjecture on my part.  Also, in the sample, it appears that you have a
Mojikyo coded character in there as well (or something not Shift-JIS).
This won't transfer at all once you get it into Unicode, of course, and
you'll have to manually change all of those to proper Unicode.

					Jeffrey

Jeffrey J. Hayden		Dept of East Asian Langs and Lits
(O$F5!$FAae'/$A4$FD?saes)			   University of Hawai'i at Manoa
eFax:  413.487.0389		  http://www2.hawaii.edu/~jeffrey

We can't ever coast along on past research or publications. It's
not enough to have done it once; we are only as good as what we
continue to do.
--Anonymous, Chronicle of Higher Education, April 2005

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.