LLTI Archives

September 2005, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 14:35:27 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "David Flores" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 09:18:09 -0400
>From: "David Flores" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7992.3 Language Lab Software (!)

We use the Sanako system at Loyola Baltimore also. For us one great
advantage of the new Software based systems is that all our school's
computers are covered under the same manufacturer warantee, so, if one
of our computers in the lab goes down, tech services comes and fixes it.
As a result, our Language Learning Center budget can be applied to other
more worthy purposes (i.e. expanding our DVD collection etc.)

David Flores
Director: Language Learning Center
Loyola College in Maryland
4501 North Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21210
Ph: (410) 617-5230
Fax: (410) 617 2859

>>> [log in to unmask] 9/12/2005 1:24 PM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 13:24:38 -0400
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

>Subject: Re: #7992 Language Lab Software

For a system that really emulates the old Sony or Tandberg labs, I
guess
Sony and Tandberg might be the best vendors for digital language
labs.... We have a Tandberg lab (the company's name is now Sanako)
installed in 2001 and it's holding up well. It does all the things that

the cassette lab did and more and better (how about animated digital
handouts instead of xeroxed ones?). The downside is that it's
expensive,
as the old labs were, and gets upgraded more often since it has to, to

keep up with computer developments. And you have to buy the computers
and replace them etc. too.

Judy Shoaf
University of Florida