LLTI Archives

September 2005, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:31:07 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Chapman, Annelie (ITC)" <[log in to unmask]>
---

>From: "Chapman, Annelie (ITC)" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7987 Ideal Fac.Workstation
>Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 11:42:24 -0700

Dear Mark,
The config of your PC and Mac boxes seems pretty nice and complete. For the
peripherals, I'd say the following are must-have's; the rest are nice (but
might also be overkill or even overwhelming for some instructors):

> - flatbed scanners: with auto-doc feeder
> - CD-RW/DVD+/-RW external burners -- dual layer not necessary
> - external hard drives - at least 250 GB (preferably FireWire and USB 2.0
- 1
> per machine?) -- only if the instructor is doing a lot of video production
> - FireWire hubs
> - USB 2.0 hubs
> - microphones -- only if doing professional-quality recording, otherwise a
decent headphone with MIC (with noise-cancelling) is adequate
> - higher-end headphones WITH MIC
> - webcams
> - flash drives
> - color laser printer
> - surge protection

These things are good for a digitizing station, but not sure a faculty
member would want all this:
> - analog audio players (cassette & LP vinyl)
> - analog video players (VHS VCR - multi-standard NTSC/PAL/SECAM?)
> - analog-digital audio conversion boxes
> - analog-digital video conversion boxes
> - miniDV player -- only if you don't have a mini-DV camera, which can
function
as a mini-DV player/drive for media processing
> - digital still image cameras
> - digital video cameras
> - tripods

Best, Annelie

--
Annelie Chapman, Ph.D.
Instructional Technology Coordinator

On 9/7/05 10:31 AM, "LLTI-Editor" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [...]
>
>> Subject: computer configurations for "ideal workstation"
>> From: "Mark R. Lauersdorf" <[log in to unmask]>
>> To: [log in to unmask]
>> CC: [log in to unmask]
>> Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 14:11:16 -0400
>
> Only a few people shared their dreams for the ideal faculty project
> development
> workstation with me.  So I thought I would try priming the pump by sending
out
> the list that has been gathered so far.
>
> Any and all additions/annotations/comments/suggestions are welcome.
>
> Mark
>
> ----- faculty workstation "wish list" -----
>
> PC Box
> - Pentium 4 Processor (at least 3 GHz)
> - Windows XP Professional, SP2
> - memory - at least 1 GB (preferably 2 GB)
> - hard drive - at least 250 GB
> - higher-end video card
> - higher-end audio card
> - wireless card
> - ethernet card (at least 100baseT)
> - ISO 1394 card (FireWire - multiple slots)
> - multiple USB 2.0 slots
> - 1.44MB 3.5 Inch Floppy Drive
> - CD-RW/DVD+/-RW (dual layer?) (DVD burners seem to be in flux - better to
go
> external than internal?)
> - monitor - flatpanel at least 19/20-inch
> - USB keyboard (ergonomic?)
> - USB 2-button optical mouse with scroll wheel
> - higher-end external speakers
>

> Mac Box
> - Power Mac dual G5 processor (at least 2 GHz) tower
> - OS 10.4 (Tiger)
> - memory - at least 1 GB (preferably 2 GB)
> - hard drive - at least 250 GB
> - higher-end video card
> - higher-end audio card
> - wireless card
> - ethernet card (at least 100baseT)
> - ISO 1394 card (FireWire - multiple slots)
> - mulitple USB 2.0 slots
> - Iomega Zip drive
> - CD-RW/DVD+/-RW (dual layer?) (DVD burners seem to be in flux - better to
go
> external than internal?)
> - monitor - flatpanel at least 19/20-inch
> - USB keyboard (ergonomic?)
> - USB 2-button optical mouse with scroll wheel
> - higher-end external speakers
>

> Peripherals & Accessories
> - flatbed scanners
> - slide scanners (individual and bulk?)
> - CD-RW/DVD+/-RW external burners (dual layer?) (if none internal)
> - CD duplicator (bulk)
> - external hard drives - at least 250 GB (preferably FireWire and USB 2.0
- 1
> per machine?)
> - analog audio players (cassette & LP vinyl)
> - analog video players (VHS VCR - multi-standard NTSC/PAL/SECAM?)
> - analog-digital audio conversion boxes
> - analog-digital video conversion boxes
> - miniDV player
> - FireWire hubs
> - USB 2.0 hubs
> - universal memory card readers (for Compact Flash, Smart Media,
MultiMedia