LLTI Archives

September 2005, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 13:24:10 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Karl Fisher <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 15:50:55 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>From: Karl Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7992 Language Lab Software
>Cc: [log in to unmask]

Hi, Daniel;

Check out the Sanako Lab 100 (formerly Tandberg Elice).

It does all of that and more, and it is truly a "plug and play" system. It
runs on Windows OS with a Linux server box for the audio library. Since
there is only one computer (students have slave units that are virtual
cassette decks), you don't have to get 21 computers running and properly
configured at the same time to conduct a lab session.

I wrote a review of the system for the journal last year: Now that we've
moved into the building, I can't find my copy of it, but it's in one of the
2004 issues I believe. (Can anyone help us out and tell us which issue the
review is in?)

Glad to answer any questions about the system, and I'll soon (by soon I
mean maybe by Christmas!) have photos of the new lab on the web site
(http://www.sewanee.edu/Language_Lab/)

The cost is reasonable as well: The system was far less that the cassette
based system from 1997 that it replaced.

Best,
Karl

>--- Forwarded Message from "Daniel M. Wescovich" <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>Can anyone tell me what software can emulate the old language lab
>system capabilities such as realtime audio communication, grouping,
>pairing, etc? I am having trouble finding a solution that works.
>
>Daniel M. Wescovich
>
>Coordinator
>Language Learning Center
>Saint Louis University

Karl W. Fisher
Director, Language Laboratory
The University of the South
735 University Avenue
Sewanee, TN 37383

Lab: (931) 598-1468
Fax: (931) 598-1145

"Time's fun when you're having flies."  --Kermit the Frog

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.