LLTI Archives

September 2005, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:31:11 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Graul, Leslie" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: RE: #7985 Fees for proficiency testing
>Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 11:35:39 -0400
>From: "Graul, Leslie" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"

Hi, David,

We do not charge our own students (or applicants) to take a foreign language
proficiency exam.  We limit their exemption attempts to one per semester, unless
an instructor authorizes us in writing to let the student retake the test.

We do charge "outsiders", such as area high school students whose instructors
have send them to campus to take the test.  We charge $5.00 per student per
language.

I believe that our Registrar has often made the decision as to whether to accept
language-learning acquired elsewhere.  This is true for both those courses
offered on campus and for other languages.  I'm not sure what  standards he
uses.  The Chair of the Language Department, when asked, would require
documented proof of successful completion of coursework equivalent to that
required here.  A grade of C or above from an acceptable program was required.

Times have changed.  We need more flexibility.  Like you, we are looking for a
good method to measure proficiency in languages not taught here.  We are also
looking for good on-line courses that would expand and enhance our offerings.  I
am interested in responses to your inquiry.

Leslie Graul