LLTI Archives

August 2005, Week 5

From:
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 13:21:55 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 11:01:38 -0500
>From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7971 A cheap (really cheap) region-free pal/ntsc conversion DVD
(!)

You also might want to check out reviewer comments on Amazon before
buying.  Reviews are very mixed.  Many people seem to have had problems
with length of life and other technical problems.  Some really like the
unit.  Could be due to quality control issues?

--- Forwarded Message from "David Flores" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 13:43:44 -0400
>From: "David Flores" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: A cheap (really cheap) region-free pal/ntsc conversion DVD

Just though you folks might beinterested.

Recently I purchased some video equipment to be placed in the office
of
our new chairperson. She wanted a DVD player, so I looked for
something
small and cheap. Found the Cyberhome CH-DVD300 at Amazon.com for
$38.00.
Reading the reviews I was intrigued by one comment to the effect that
the player could easily and quickly be made region-free by entering a
few codes with the remote. So I ordered the unit and set it up. Then I
tried the codes, and Voila! This little $38.00 player (progressive
scan,
by the way) was playing a region 2 disk and doing PAL to NTSC
conversion
flawlessly!

Here's what you need to do (copied from Amazon.com):

1. With no disc in the tray, push "Menu" "1" "9" (ignoring the "No"
symbol that appears on the upper left-hand corner of the screen).
2. A menu will appear that shows in highlight the region it is set to
(almost certainly Region 1). Push the "Enter" button and the region
number will change. You can set it to any region (1 through 6) or to
Region 0, which means it will play PAL or NTSC DVDs from all 6 DVD
regions!
3. Push the "Open/Close" button to close the menu, and you're done!

Now, given that you're not modifying the player in any way, I suspect
that this player should satisfy even those schools that have policies
preventing modified players in fear of potential DMCA consequences.

David Flores
Director: Language Learning Center
Loyola College in Maryland
4501 North Charles Street