LLTI Archives

August 2005, Week 5

From:
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 10:20:51 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 17:39:59 -0500 (CDT)
>Subject: computer configurations for "ideal workstation"
>From: [log in to unmask]
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Cc: [log in to unmask]

Dear LLTI-ers,

I'd like you all to dream for a moment . . .

I am in the enviable position of being able to spend a reasonable-sized
budget on new equipment that will serve as state-of-the-art workstations
for faculty multimedia project development in support of language
teaching.

I would like to request your input in the areas of hardware configuration
as well as necessary peripherals.

Please address any or all of the areas listed below and feel free to add
areas that are not listed.  *Please* restrict the discussion to equipment
for the moment, perhaps a software discussion will follow . . .

I will compile the answers for posting back to LLTI after enough responses
have come in (i.e., the next time I actually get a spare moment to get to
it!).

Thanks in advance for your collaboration.

Mark Lauersdorf

-----------------------------------
1) optimal hardware configurations for both Mac and PC platforms

Please do think truly "optimal" (but not "extravagant").  If it turns out
that the budget is "less reasonable-sized" than I am anticipating, I will
adjust things downward where necessary.  By hardware configurations I mean
the things you stuff in the box (processor and speed, RAM type and size,
video/audio/TV/FireWire/etc. cards, hard drive size, removable storage
devices, ports, etc.) and the monitor.

----------
2) necessary peripherals

Here, as one way to get the peripheral thinking process started, is a
by-no-means-exhaustive list of categories:

- scanning (opaque and transparent; image and text)
- analog to digital conversion (audio and video)
- digital input  (image, audio, video)
- digital output (image, audio, video)
- direct digital capture (sound recording, still and moving image capture)
- storage to various media (floppy?!, CD, DVD, external HD)
- print output

Dr. Mark R. Lauersdorf
Associate Professor of Linguistics
Director of the Language Media Center
Department of Modern and Classical Languages
University of Kentucky
Lexington, Kentucky 40506, USA
phone: 859-257-7101

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.