LLTI Archives

August 2005, Week 5

From:
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 13:21:47 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Jeanne Farrell <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 12:53:39 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>From: Jeanne Farrell <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7972 foreign characters on BlackBoard

This is a message from Caroline Hecht at Cornell University to a
Blackboard listserv and it looks like it might be your problem.

We had awful problems with accent marks when we first migrated from
Bb 5 to Bb 6.1 in June.  The problem turned out to be that there are
two different character sets to specify in Oracle, and we had
specified AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8 for both.  In fact, we needed to
specify AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1 for NLS_LANG.  Once we made the
change, we were able to enter chars with diacritic marks properly.  I
can give you more info on how the change was made, if you need it.
There are places in Oracle, and also in bbuser's .profile on the app
server.

Jeanne Farrell

Jeanne Farrell
Library and Information Services