LLTI Archives

August 2005, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 04:12:38 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Chen Xiaobin" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Chen Xiaobin" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"
>Subject: Re: #7954.6 Rationale for digital language lab systems (!)
>Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 10:53:29 +0800

Hi,
    Sitting far away from each other doesn't mean that we are building
barriers among students. On the contrary, using language lab can certainly
enhance the learning process.
    Firstly, when students are all at the beginning level, it's almost
impossible for them to communicate in the target language. At this state,
they need to accumulate more materials and be familiar with what they are
going to use. If teachers "force" them to use the target language face to
face, they might lose confidence too. Rather, using computers and language
labs enables time and space for them to think about. Learning a language is
not like learning physics. Understanding doesn't mean being able to put them
into actual use. So they need time and space to practice.
    Secondly, hiring more teachers can certainly help. However, if we know
the common acquisition process and can figure out how human beings learn a
foreign language, why don't we put them into use and program some
courseware that helps? From the perspectives of economy and effectiveness,
using modern technology is way better.
    Thirdly, different people have different personalities. Some are more
outgoing and eager to communicate with others. Some don't. If someone is
timid and doesn't like talking with others, they would feel even more
embarrass in front of a teacher if they are not proficient enough in
language. This may also prevent them from acquiring the new language.
    Saying all these, I don't mean that language labs and computers are
better than a language teacher in every aspect. What I want to say is that
they should be used as a supplementary part of language learning. Using them
can in some ways enhance the learning process.
C.X.B