LLTI Archives

August 2005, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 13:54:07 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Daniel M. Wescovich" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Daniel M. Wescovich" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7954.5Rationale for digital language lab systems
>Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 13:32:35 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

Hi:

I've been paying attention to the responses to this initial question
of the rationale for digital language lab systems because I
personally have a different perspective on the rationale for an
electronic language lab system of any kind.

I think that the language lab system (analog or digital), which
basically is going to be some electronic system to enable
communication and instruction between teacher and students, is an
obstacle to any goals of real, authentic learning. I observe lab
sections using the lab system to communicate with people who are
sitting two feet from each other. And it seems to me that in many
cases we are placing a physical, technological barrier between the
real human beings who are sitting there.

Please understand, that I realize the utilization of a digital lab as
a virtual lab which can enable communication between people who are
in different classrooms, different cities even. And I appreciate this
advancement because it breaks down barriers of physicality to enable
communication and learning. But why do we insist on using computers
to communicate with people who are actually, physically in the same
room with us? Doesn't this create a psychological distance between
us? Doesn't this hinder, rather than promote, real human
communication? I know that the first round of answers will have to do
with the conflicts that arise from large class sizes, obscene teacher-
to-student ratios, and the like; and that these technologies help us
to reach a greater number of students at once. But this is simply an
attempt to create quantity over quality.  To those arguments, I say
let's use the enormous amount of money we spend on technology to hire
more teachers, to promote better teaching, support new teachers, and
build better classrooms.

Really, I could go on and on with this. These questions have been on
my mind for a long time, and I have always been afraid to say them
out loud because I don't want to seem like I am losing faith in our
educational structures, not just at the level of language arts and
second language acquisition, but at all levels of education,
especially in America. And the truth is that I am losing faith,
because at every turn it seems that we are trying to do everything in
our power to ensure that no one learns anything very well.

Just, one last thing. A while back I was speaking with a student (not
mine, I actually do not teach anymore. I am a technology coordinator)
who expressed to me that she thought it was funny that her foreign
language teacher insisted on speaking to her through the headset and
microphone of the computer. So I asked her why it was funny, and she
said there were only seven people in the class, and they all sat five
feet from each other.

So, am i just crazy, or does it seem like the technology might
envelop us.

Daniel M. Wescovich

Coordinator
Language Learning Center