LLTI Archives

May 2005, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2005 13:42:49 EDT
Apple's streaming server (Darwin, compiled for Linux, Windows, OS-X) does not
cache streaming data on the local hard disk. It is compatible with Windows and
Mac clients.

The image quality of Video Furnace is only good when compared to Sorenson
encoded (very good) and H.264 (excellent) materials (assuming similar bandwidth
and display size).

Video furnace, from what I understand, provides a converter to allow standard
Television sets to be connected to their system - this would mean that the
signal could be recorded with a standard VCR or a DVD burner. So there is a
copyright issue.

REAL Server's cost is very high for multiple  streams.

I have no experience with any of the Microsoft solutions (can somebody, please,
provide us with some info?).

Dartmouth is in the process of setting up a Video Furnace system to replace its
60 channel coax system. The system is already live and will be available to
students at the beginning of the summer term.  There is a lot of talk about
"video on demand" - I doubt that this is going to be implemented soon, because
of the cost of additional hardware for each channel.

Otmar Foelsche

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.