LLTI Archives

May 2005, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2005 13:42:42 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Matt Wasowski <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 09:49:15 -0400
>From: Matt Wasowski <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Horizon Wimba announces new version of its Voice Tools for online
language learning

Hello,
Please consider posting this to the listserve today.
Below, please find a press release announcing that Horizon Wimba has
unveiled Voice Tools version 4.1, the newest release of its leading
voice tools (which consist of voice discussion boards, voice emails,
voice announcements, and live voice conversations) for online language
learning. You can also read the press release online at
http://www.horizonwimba.com/about/press_detail.php?id=70.
Thanks,
Matt Wasowski
Horizon Wimba

Horizon Wimba Announces Voice Tools 4.1

New York, NY - (May 24, 2005) - Horizon Wimba announced today the
immediate availability of Voice Tools version 4.1. This maintenance
update of its vocal collaboration tools for online language learning
features:

$E1 Private voice board threads
-In a single voice board, instructors can now maintain private threads
with individual students
$E1 Enhanced stability and performance
$E1 More robust support for personal firewalls and privacy services for PC
users
$E1 Rich support for Mac users
$E1 Improved memory management and lower CPU load

Consistent with the capabilities of traditional language labs, the
creation of private speaking threads within Horizon Wimba's web-based
voice boards will ensure that only the instructor will hear a student's
spoken recordings. This will allow instructors to better focus on each
individual student's work while also ensuring that shy students are not
embarrassed by having peers listen to their recordings in a foreign
language.

Voice Tools version 4.1 also boasts several performance improvements.
Most notably, Voice Tools users running Windows will enjoy more robust
privacy services and support for personal firewalls such as McAfee and
Norton applications, while Mac users will enjoy improved overall
performance thanks to removed dependencies with Mac OS.

"Horizon Wimba's Voice Tools continue to be the model for the online
language lab," said Tommaso Trionfi, CEO of Horizon Wimba. "Our new
features and performance enhancements demonstrate our commitment to be
the leader in the online language learning market, making it easy for
instructors to add a rich array of listening and speaking exercises to
their online language courses."

About Horizon Wimba
Horizon Wimba develops web-based collaboration software for online
distance education, language learning and live interactive
communications. Our collaborative learning applications enable
instructors and students to fully embrace the new wave of pedagogical
opportunities afforded by campus-wide networks and the internet;
regardless of geographic location, bandwidth or operating system. Our
virtual rooms enable instructors to conduct live, online classes,
meetings, office hours and study groups, and our vocal collaboration
technologies add oral content directly into course content, webpages and
assessments. Horizon Wimba adds new dimensions to online, accessible
education, personalizing and humanizing the online learning experience
for all.

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.