LLTI Archives

May 2005, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 16 May 2005 14:58:09 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 16:15:12 -0500
>From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7905 Simultaneous Translation Equipment

We just purchased equipment from (mostly) ListenTech, via Full Compass
here in Madison, WI.  It includes two translator units, with mics and
headphones for two translators each (two languages, with respite for the
translators themselves).  The units are very small, digital (with
something like 57 channels), and radio frequency.  We used them for the
first time at a conference and they worked great!

Our system, with the translator units, 31 receiver units, headphones,
batteries, two carrying cases (that serve as charging units too), for
under $8000.  The receiver units were about $115 each.

We too looked at lots of equipment, but were impressed by the
portability, digital quality of the sound, and functionality.  Our
equipment will be used all over campus, not only for conferences, but
also for training (e.g., our Spanish and Hmong speaking maintenance
staff).  Thus we were able to bring several units in on buying the
equipment at about $500 per department (Housing, Physical Plant, Office
of Human Resources, Language Institute, Graduate School, etc.).  We
house, maintain, train in it use, etc.

So far we're very pleased.

--- Forwarded Message from Michael Jones <[log in to unmask]> ---

>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>From: Michael Jones <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Simultaneous Translation Equipment
>Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 14:37:06 -0400

Hi Folks,

I have a faculty member who is very interested in Portable
simultaneous
translation equipment for use primarily with speakers coming to
campus,
but also to teach students how to do simultaneous translation.  She's
trained translator and made a (failed) pitch to the administration to
fund equipment four years ago.  She turned up appropriate equipment
made by Auditel and Sennheiser when she was looking.  I'm wondering if
anyone has experience with these, or other, systems and general advice
on what to look for.

Thanks,

- Mike

Michael Jones