LLTI Archives

May 2005, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2005 11:30:37 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 13:43:43 -0600
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>,        Francoise
Sorgen-Goldschmidt <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7894 Nasal vowels in IPA

On a Mac, you can type the nasal vowels, 'a' with tilde and 'o' with tilde,
using the same system as for the 'n' with tilde:  press the key combination
<option-n> followed by either 'a' or 'o'.  This will work with most fonts
that include Roman letters, and most Roman and Unicode keyboards.  It does
not require IPA nor SIL fonts.

Many other characters and symbols can be typed on most Apple virtual
keyboards, using various key combinations.  More exotic letter and symbols
may require a special keyboard.  The US Extended keyboard aids in typing
quite a few diacritics over various letters.  MS Word gives you access to
some symbols via the Insert>Symbol menu item.

Even more symbol choices are available via the Character Palate, which is
selected via System Preferences>International>Input Method (as are several
dozen other Apple-supplied virtual keyboards, including US Extended,
mentioned above).

Windows and Mac OS X use character encoding built around Unicode, which
assigns a unique code number to more than 100,000 characters and symbols.
If you have the correct font installed, and know the Unicode code number,
you can input any symbol using the Unicode Hex Input keyboard (enabled as
described above).

Perhaps SIL provides a keyboard file to aid typing all the symbols in their
IPA fonts.  You can also create your own custom keyboard files for a
Macintosh fairly easily, using the web site:

<http://wordherd.com/keyboards/>

I've created several custom keyboards for myself, professors, and students,
which provide convenient access to needed characters when working on
specific projects or languages.  For example, many of us prefer to type
Spanish using a dead-key system, rather than key-combinations.  Please
contact me off-list, if you have questions, or for a copy of our Spanish
keyboard (for Mac).

Derek

>> Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 07:36:56 -0700
>> To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>> From: Francoise Sorgen-Goldschmidt <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: Nasal vowels in IPA
>> Cc: [log in to unmask]
>
> I have been typing IPA symbols (SIL fonts) using a Mac, in both Word
> and Dreamweaver since the "Magic Keys" of Mac OS9 --or perhaps even
> earlier.  While I see the tilde on the keyboard, and know how to type
> an n with a tilde on top with 'option n' for Spanish, I have never
> figured out how to put a tilde on a vowel to make it nasal.  The best
> I've found is typing shift 1, which gets something that looks like
> quotes (") over the vowel.
>   I currently use Mac OS10.3.9 and Word 2004 Version 11. 0
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Francoise

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center