LLTI Archives

May 2005, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2005 11:30:38 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>Date: Wed,  4 May 2005 18:05:59 -0400
>From: [log in to unmask]
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #7894 Nasal vowels in IPA

Francoise, to type a tilde over the vowels "a" and "o" in Mac Os X 10.3.9 and
Word version 10 (sorry, haven't moved up to version 11 yet), I use the
alt/option key plus the "n" key plus the upper-case or lower-case vowel over
which I wish to place the tilde. Sad to say, Word doesn't permit a tilde to
live over an "e", "i", or "u", perhaps because Portuguese needs the diacritical
mark over "a" and "o" but not the other vowels. I haven't had the occasion to
type a tilde over vowels in Dreamweaver using this system, but since it works
for the "n", I imagine it will work with the "a" and "o".

Good luck with the remaining vowels.

Janice

Janice E. Rodriguez, MA
Instructor and Director, Language Laboratory
Albright College
Department of Modern Foreign Languages and Literatures
13 and Bern Streets
PO Box 15234
Reading, PA 19612-5234
610-921-7714