LLTI Archives

May 2005, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2005 11:30:46 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>Date: Fri,  6 May 2005 16:37:05 -0400
>From: [log in to unmask]
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: LLTI Digest - 27 Apr 2005 to 28 Apr 2005 (#2005-65)

Lee,

A delayed but hopefully helpful response:

We subscribe to DISH and have been unhappy with their bureaucratic and
messy customer service. Their staff seem to turn over daily, they're
expensive, and we've had much difficulty getting the programming we
want. For example, we were sold "commercial" packages which included
no German-language programming. We tried to get a "residential"
account to get around this problem but that proved more trouble than
it was worth. Advice: call for their rates posing as a residential
customer, then call as yourself [i.e., a business or educational
institution] to find out how packages and prices differ or are
possibly inflated.

We recently started researching SCOLA's current streamed offerings,
and at that moment, learned that DISH is now offering "German TV" to
its commercial subscribers. But, they tell us, we need a "Super Dish"
to receive it. In short, lots of obstacles as well as, we suspect,
inflated costs.
I've seen negative feedback on DISH in this listserv and have heard it
from others.  You're welcome to call or e. me to discuss further.

Regina DeAngelo
Mgr, Language Technology Services
Center for Language Study
Yale University