LLTI Archives

May 2005, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 12 May 2005 13:58:31 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Zachary Chandler <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 21:53:44 -0400
>From: Zachary Chandler <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #7900 Canopus analog-digital converters

Hi Mark,

I have a handful of Canopus 100's in my lab, and I can attest to the positive
reviews you have read. I have only used them with iMovie and FCP; I can't
comment on Windows compatibility.

One word of caution if you plan to install them in a public lab: these may be a
little sensitive for everyday use. The 100 (and I suspect the higher # models
as well) are not hot-pluggable, and rough handling can burn out the digitizer's
circuits or the firewire controller on the computer or both. Both the computer
and the digitizer need to be completely powered down before (un)plugging the
firewire cable. There are numerous DIP switches to configure for different
settings (PAL, etc) which require referring to a diagram in the user's manual
to figure out (most people probably won't need to do this).

Overall a great little device, just make sure users are comfortable using it, or
that they can't reconfigure it, etc.

best,
Zach

Zachary Chandler