LLTI Archives

May 2005, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2005 15:33:43 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Scott Williams <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Scott Williams <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7895.1 like a Tiger (!)
>Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 13:01:49 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

The widgets are cool, but the search tool "Spotlight" and related
tools like Smart Folders are the sterling features of the new Mac OS
as far as I am concerned. It instantly gives results on a word
anywhere in text documents, pdfs, PowerPoint, email, etc. and groups
them by file type. With huge HDs and varying projects, Spotlight is
sweet.

Scott

On May 10, 2005, at 11:23 AM, LLTI-Editor wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from Otmar K. Foelsche ---
>

>> Date: 09 May 2005 15:07:07 EDT
>> From: Otmar K. Foelsche
>> Subject: Re: #7895 like a Tiger (Fabian)
>> To: LLTI-Editor
>>

> I have had no time to take an in-depth look at Tiger yet. Most
> software
> incompatibilities that were disovered in beta versions have been
> fixed - among
> them Apple Desktop Remote and Kerberos. Among the highlights for
> language
> learners:
>
> The translation widget, the unit conversion widget, and the
> dictionary/thesaurus
> widget - all three widgets are immediatly useful.
>
> The translation widget translates from and into Chinese (both),
> Japanese,
> Korean, German, French, Spanish, Russian, Modern Greek, Dutch and
> Italian. It
> allows copy and paste and makes it possible to translate English
> into Korean and
> then have the Korean translated back into English - with sometimes
> interesting
> results. Obviously mechanisms of this type have to be handled with
> common sense
> - no idioms, no ambiguities, no complex sentences. We had a few
> instructors try
> it out on a preliminary basis - they were impressed.
>
> I would assume that more languages will be included in the
> translation widget
> and that  dictionary/thesauri combinations for languages other than
> English will
> be available soon.
>
> Chinese and Japanese input systems seem to have been improved - I
> have had no
> feedback from anybody here yet.
>
> The system appears to be stable, yet, for those wwho read the rags,
> there are a
> few problems here and there - but nothing dramatic that should
> prevent users
> from switching to this system.
>
> The rumor has it that iSight and its new group capability is rather
> slow.... I
> have not looked into that area yet.
>
> Norton is limited to manual and scheduls scheduls scans.
>
> It is my understanding that Tiger includes fundamental changes
> "deep down" that
> will have a very significant impact on future releases of the
> operating system.
>
> I am sure that other subscribers to this have had more experience
> than I with
> this system - all information for the list is appreciated!
>
> Otmar Foelsche

>  LLTI is a service of IALLT, the International Association for
> Language Learning, and The Consortium for Language Teaching and
> Learning (http://consortium.dartmouth.edu).
> Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.
> Otmar Foelsche, LLTI-Editor ([log in to unmask])

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Scott G. Williams, Ph.D.
Director
Language Acquisition Center
Dept. of Modern Languages
Univ. of Texas at Arlington
Box 19557
Arlington, Texas 76019-0557

Tel: Office (817) 272-5650 / LAC (817) 272-5148
Fax: (817) 272-5408

email: [log in to unmask]

LAC: (http://langlab.uta.edu/LAC/welcome.htm)
Modern Languages:( http://langlab.uta.edu)