LLTI Archives

May 2005, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 10 May 2005 12:23:21 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 13:13:43 -0400
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #7883.5 Int. Television (!)

Dishnetwork has educational packages and pricing.

It is true though that German language programming has only been added
recently and I am not sure whether it is available for educational use
yet (personally I ascribe this to an unwillingness on the part of DW &
co. to relinquish the possibility of a monopoly using their own dish).

I am lucky because our campus network people did all the negotiating,
and since the goal was to have the programming available over as much of
campus as possible their network is ideal. A recent attempt to find out
about the status of the German-language TV was frustrating.

On the other hand, since we got the service in place it has been a great
asset. At least they don't charge by the head, like SCOLA--prohibitive
for a large institution. The up-front costs are very high but the
subscriptions are reasonable for what you get.

Judy Shoaf
Language Learning Center
University of Florida

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.