LLTI Archives

May 2005, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2005 17:06:32 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Francoise Sorgen-Goldschmidt

>Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 07:36:56 -0700
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Francoise Sorgen-Goldschmidt <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Nasal vowels in IPA
>Cc: [log in to unmask]

I have been typing IPA symbols (SIL fonts) using a Mac, in both Word
and Dreamweaver since the "Magic Keys" of Mac OS9 --or perhaps even
earlier.  While I see the tilde on the keyboard, and know how to type
an n with a tilde on top with 'option n' for Spanish, I have never
figured out how to put a tilde on a vowel to make it nasal.  The best
I've found is typing shift 1, which gets something that looks like
quotes (") over the vowel.
  I currently use Mac OS10.3.9 and Word 2004 Version 11. 0

Thanks for your help.
Francoise

--
Francoise Sorgen-Goldschmidt