LLTI Archives

April 2005, Week 5

From:
Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 13:40:35 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from waltje <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:07:45 -0400
>From: waltje <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: New German Poetry Webresource

Dear Otmar:  I sent this before, but I think it got lost in cyberspace,
since I did not get the customary automatic server response. Thank you for
posting our announcement.  Best from Athens,    Jorg

---------------------
Dr. Jorg Waltje
Director LRC
Ohio University
Gordy Hall 17 D
Athens, Ohio 45701 (USA)

Ph: (740) 593-2748
Fax: (740) 593-0729
---------------------

                        *********

Hello und Guten Tag!

We are proud to announce a new learning object/resource repository for the
study of German: The Poetry of Relationships -- A website  featuring
soundfiles, authors' biographies, guiding questions as well as activities,
downloadable worksheets and other materials which we hope will help engage
students in meaningful and personalized communication, while at the same
time encouraging their appreciation of the German language and culture.

You can find the website at
http://lrc-web.modlang.ohiou.edu/lrc/poetry/

Our goal was to create something of value for language teachers that might
help them draw their students in. We wanted to supply a tool that not only
conforms to the five C?s of the Standards for Foreign Language Learning ,
but at the same time is indeed fun and engaging -- a catalyst that will
encourage students to open up and share their opinions and that provides
ample opportunities for meaningful conversations and the negotiation of
meaning.

The poems are presented in a variety of ways: (1) the printed text, (2) a
recitation of the poem by its author (when available) or by a trained
speaker, and (3) in musical form. In several cases the idea was to offer
differing readings of the same poem in order to point out that intonation
and stress can sometimes change both perception and meaning of a piece of
art. Many of the poems are presented in musical form as well, since they
have been adapted by classical interpreters as well as by modern popular
entertainers.

We invite you to look around and familiarize yourself with our offerings,
use them in your classes, and then submit your own suggestions and feedback
to us, directly from the website either via email or via our online survey
form.

Best regards,     Jorg Waltje and Barry Thomas  (Ohio University)

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.