LLTI Archives

April 2005, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:38:34 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Mitchell A. Peabody" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 13:52:41 -0400
>From: "Mitchell A. Peabody" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Pronunciation errors (English,Mandarin)

Hi,

I'm working on research for pronunciation assessment using automatic
speech recognition technology.  I'm currently targeting two groups:
Americans learning Mandarin as a second language and Chinese learning
American English as a second language.  One of the methods I'm
investigating uses explicit phonological rules to pinpoint errors.  I've
been working with a set of phonological rules developed by a linguist
colleague for Korean accented English with reasonable success.

I'm interested to know if anyone on this list could point me to some
references in a similar vein for the Mandarin=>English,
English=>Mandarin cases?

I've been lurking on this list for a few months now, but I'm not at all
certain that this is the appropriate forum for this type of question.
All apologies if it isn't.

--
Mitchell Peabody
Spoken Language Systems Group