LLTI Archives

April 2005, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:37:42 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Claire M. Bartlett" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 09:09:16 -0500 (CDT)
>From: "Claire M. Bartlett" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: SCOLA Streaming

SCOLA STREAMING

We download the QT SCOLA files and stream them from our Real server. Our
faculty access the streaming files from their classrooms and their
offices. Our students access the SCOLA files from their rooms on and off
campus, and/or from anywhere else on campus.

The only drawback is that the quality is mediocre because of the choice of
compressing/encoding the files at a low rate to allow streaming in areas
with low bandwith.

This is a convenient new service Scola offers.

Best,

Claire

<http://www.scola.org/eoneCommerce/Portal?Dsp=40&PCR=1:40&ACTN=80000&channel=1&s
> cheduledisplay=program&R=6030>four
> SCOLA channels on the web and access to a 7-day rolling archive of
> half-hour mp4 digitized files from all four channels of broadcasts.
> We are working on supporting these resources for teacher use, both
> edited sections on the web for homework and in-class presentation.
> Actually, in-class is the more difficult, as most teachers here do
> not have laptops.  How to present a digital file in class?  LaCie
> Silverscreen?  DVD-R?  Other ideas?
> For the web for students' homework, we expect teachers will download
> the files, review them, select portions with iMovie and upload them
> to our server.  We then have a media workbook tool they can use.  Are
> others using this service?  How are teachers using the digitized
> files?
> We have a workshop in May, where teachers will try all this out and
> we'll discuss classroom presentation equipment and issues.  I'll post
> results of this if people are interested.
> --
> Dick Feldman, Director
> Language Resource Center
> Cornell University
> http://lrc.cornell.edu
> 607-255-8685

>  LLTI is a service of IALLT, the International Association for
> Language Learning, and The Consortium for Language Teaching and
> Learning (http://consortium.dartmouth.edu).
> Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.
> Otmar Foelsche, LLTI-Editor ([log in to unmask])
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Thu, 14 Apr 2005 13:24:35 EDT
> From:    LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: #7877.4 LangLab and NetSupportSchool Reviews
>
> --- Forwarded Message from Marty DeWindt <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
> >Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys

b=qflRrjZrOaHH3fL18T0AMHQ5YYqZmgEUlrDP4yR/G4IQl41vwjUPc4eqo1NDTypAIAzvcSpUJIX4sM

+jJPhXFgajuGMOT9RNjYWMzf4MTUlXgLPy+YZIT1UsL1Ta01XxZ1EliWdRdZpPS+Fr5+AyvNiCkvcQ2u
> G4waDrDFp2dcw=  ;
> >Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 18:28:18 -0700 (PDT)
> >From: Marty DeWindt <[log in to unmask]>
> >Subject: Digital LL Solutions Reviewed . . . soon?
> >To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>
> Jack-
> Do we have an approximate date yet?
> Marty
>
> LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Claire Bartlett
Director, Language Resource Center                      Voice:  (713)  348-6156
Assoc. Dir., Center for the Study of Languages          LRC: (713) 348-6157
120 Rayzor Hall, MS 37                                  fax:  (713) 348-6168
Rice University                                         [log in to unmask]
6100 Main Street
Houston, TX 77005-1892                          http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~lrc

* Executive Board Member, CALICO                http://www.calico.org
* President-Elect, IALLT                        http://www.iallt.org