LLTI Archives

April 2005, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:38:17 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Michael Berger <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 17:01:12 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>From: Michael Berger <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7878 SCOLA streaming service

Dick,

We have subscribed to the SCOLA streaming and download service since
last fall. In addition to the benefits of being a SCOLA "affiliate"
(as they refer to it)--i.e., receiving satellite broadcasts,
etc.--for an extra fee we can view 350 hours of streaming video or
download the same number of broadcast hours. We assemble CDs with
several (unedited) broadcasts and Insta-class PDFs (if available) and
give these to teachers to use in class or let students use them in
the language lab. However, the teachers prefer the taped satellite
broadcasts, because the quality of the audio and video is so much
better. We do not use the streaming broadcast at all, mostly because
the times rarely coincide with class or student viewing times, but
partly because the quality is poorer than the download.

I am very interested in your workshop and would like to hear more
about the details and the results.

Thanks,
Michael Berger

______________________
Michael A. Berger
Manager/Faculty Liaison/Grants Administrator
Language Faculty Resource Center
Language Laboratories and Archives
University of Chicago
5811 S. Ellis - Cobb 211