LLTI Archives

April 2005, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:38:11 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Joel Goldfield <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:09:21 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Joel Goldfield <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Cc: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: #7878 SCOLA streaming service

Dick Feldman asks some useful and provocative questions related to goals
and workload in thinking about the new SCOLA materials.  One might want
to pursue this line of inquiry by discussing:
1) What are the profiles of faculty using audio or video on a regular basis?
2) Do most faculty have time, given the available analogue or digital equipment,
   to modify in any way the audio/video material available--to tailor it
   their students' needs?
3) Or do many faculty who use audio/video prefer to simply
   cue up ready-made materials, in whatever medium?
4) Do faculty have technical or other *support* available for the creation and
delivery
   of tailored or teacher-annotated materials?
5) Do faculty have institutional incentives (compensation, credit toward
teaching, service,
   etc.) to engage in such activities?

Any "No" that might answer items 2-5 could break the link to using audio and
video materials.
Many of us I'm sure would be interested in comments on both Dick's and these
more
general questions, both from those who are creating materials or using them
in the classroom or asynchronously and those who are not.

Sincerely,
Joel Goldfield, Chair
Dept. of Modern Languages and Literatures
Director, Culpeper Language Resource Center
Fairfield University