LLTI Archives

April 2005, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 13:24:32 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Dick Feldman <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:30:01 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>From: Dick Feldman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: SCOLA streaming service

Friends,
We just subscribed to a trial period of SCOLA's "streaming" service.
This allows viewing of all
<http://www.scola.org/eoneCommerce/Portal?Dsp=40&PCR=1:40&ACTN=80000&channel=1&s
cheduledisplay=program&R=6030>four
SCOLA channels on the web and access to a 7-day rolling archive of
half-hour mp4 digitized files from all four channels of broadcasts.
We are working on supporting these resources for teacher use, both
edited sections on the web for homework and in-class presentation.
Actually, in-class is the more difficult, as most teachers here do
not have laptops.  How to present a digital file in class?  LaCie
Silverscreen?  DVD-R?  Other ideas?
For the web for students' homework, we expect teachers will download
the files, review them, select portions with iMovie and upload them
to our server.  We then have a media workbook tool they can use.  Are
others using this service?  How are teachers using the digitized
files?
We have a workshop in May, where teachers will try all this out and
we'll discuss classroom presentation equipment and issues.  I'll post
results of this if people are interested.
--
Dick Feldman, Director
Language Resource Center

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.