LLTI Archives

April 2005, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 15:24:35 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Emma Fernandez" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Sun,  3 Apr 2005 16:42:00 -0500
>From: "Emma Fernandez" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "LLTI List address" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: One accent  or multiples accents?

Recently, I started to use the audiovisual materials that come
with the book "Hola Amigos" in order to help my students to
develop Spanish oral comprehension skills. However, I was very
disappointed when I found out that the people intervening in the
video were coming from different countries and, consequently,
had very different accents. I had problems to understand some of
the individuals myself.

I learned English in England and Ireland and I have to recognize
that I had difficulties to understand English spoken in other
countries. I still have difficulties to understand English with
australian or scottish accent, however, after my first month in
United States, I got used to american accent.

My question: Is it useful to show students all different accents
of one same language when starting to learn that language or
different accents make learning a more difficult task?

Regards,

Emma Fern$E1ndez

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.