LLTI Archives

April 2005, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 16:32:27 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from John Madden <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 15:20:51 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>From: John Madden <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7860 One accent  or multiples accents?
>Cc: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>

Hi all,

Good question!

I think that for beginners, comprehension is hard enough without
dealing with multiple accents, so choosing materials that feature
speakers with accents relevant to the students would be best. That is
to say, here in Texas, I'd choose Spanish speakers with clearly
pronounced Mexican accents, say localized to Mexico, D.F., or Texas,
if we need a "standard." I might also look for accents such as one
might hear on Univision -- perhaps Cuban or Cuban-American.

For intermediate students and higher, I'd expose them to the various
accents in Spanish or any other language. I think learning to deal
with accents is part of learning the language, but I'd reserve it for
after the first lessons.

-- john

At 3:24 pm -0400 4.4.05, LLTI-Editor wrote:
>--- Forwarded Message from "Emma Fernandez" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>My question: Is it useful to show students all different accents
>of one same language when starting to learn that language or
>different accents make learning a more difficult task?

John P. Madden
Instructor and Computer Lab Coordinator
ESL Services, International Office (A7000)
The University of Texas at Austin
Drawer A, Austin, Texas USA 78713
512-471-2480; 512-232-3920
http://piglet.cc.utexas.edu/~jpmadden