LLTI Archives

March 2005, Week 5

From:
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 16:44:42 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Mark Sanford <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:24:13 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>From: Mark Sanford <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: AG-W3?

Here's something we just found out the hard way.  That $1500 Panasonic
AG-W3 VCR we purchased last semester is really a $288 Samsung SV-7000 with
a different paint job. I had the cover off both units, side-by-side, and
inspected - they are identical (except for the paint) right down to the
individual diodes, resistors and circuit board nomenclature. Looks like
Panasonic farmed that product line out to Samsung in the hopes of making a
large profit.  Some of you may remember that ol' reliable workhorse, the
AG-W1?  It's gone now.

We are negotiating to return the unit to the vendor (B&H Photo) but they
are telling us Panasonic has dropped that product from it's roster.  So
they offer a $650 refund instead. :-(

What I would like to buy, if I'm spending fifteen hundred dollars of Yale's
money, is
(1) SONY   SLV-ED939 VCR (B&H # SOSLVED939).                    Price: $179.95
(1) Comprehensive   FC-4000 Standards Converter (B&H # COFC4000).  Price:
$1199.95

These two pieces of equipment ought to work together (I'll wire them
together in an equipment rack).  The SONY will play the PAL/NTSC tape, and
the FC-4000 will convert the signal.  I'm expecting this combo will do
a  better job of converting tapes than the AG-W3/SV-7000.

Hope to see everyone at NERALLD!

Mark

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.